AMID Logo E-BAY Logo
Freight from the USA

U.S. Shipper's Export Declaration (SED)

SED is the acronym for U.S. Shipper's Export Declarations.

According to U.S. Customs regulations, all cargo transporting out of the USA must be declared to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on the ACE Secure Data Portal.

To comply with these U.S. Government export regulations, all international cargo transportation companies serving U.S. freight enforce the condition on all cargo shipping from the USA: "NO DOCS - NO LOAD." That means the presentation of all necessary shipping documentation for any cargo shipping from the USA, including proof of submission of the U.S. Shipper's Export Declaration, which is ITN or AES Exemption Legend, must be provided by shippers no later than 72 hours before cargo releases to depart from the USA.

Cargo without a valid ITN (if not exempt) CANNOT be released for transportation from the USA and is subject to the hold under the U.S. Customs supervision and penalties related to the lack of proper export documentation.

ITN is the acronym for Internal Transaction Number. An ITN is a number assigned to a shipment confirming that the ACE accepted the Electronic Export Information (EEI) and has it on file.


Most common exempts from filing SED

  • Shipping from the USA goods of total value declared less than US$2500.
  • U.S. domestic shipments (shipping to Hawaii, for example). However, ITN required shipping freight between the USA and Puerto Rico and between the USA and the Virgin Islands of the United States.


How to file SED?

Our online freight calculator provides options on filing U.S. Shipper's Export Declaration:

  1. Shippers may file SED online at on their own. In this case, we must get from the shipper a valid ITN before the cargo is delivered to the ocean freight carrier's terminal (CFS) for the shipping from the United States overseas.
  2. Otherwise, we may file SED on the shipper's behalf based on the commodity description provided in the shipper's commercial invoice or valued packing list for the fee of $35 toward a single Harmonized Tariff Number. $25.00 per a Harmonized Tariff number after that.

If you are requesting us to file SED on your behalf, then to do so, we must have from you at least:

  1. A valued packing list or commercial invoice in your shipping from the USA, which contains: commodity description (1), a value of your international shipment in USD (2), estimated weight, (3).
  2. For U.S. citizens, a U.S. federal tax ID (EIN) and, for not U.S. Citizens, a copy of consigner's (shipper's) foreign passport first page with clear for the reading passport number on it.


Obtaining an EIN for filing SED

IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY: As of December 3, 2009, U.S. Social Security Numbers (SSN) will not be accepted as a valid USPPI ID:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau / U.S. Customs and Border Protection regulation and per the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR), Social Security Numbers (SSN) will not be accepted as a valid USPPI ID as of December 3, 2009. Any Authorized Agent that files on behalf of customers using an SSN as the USPPI ID need to notify their customers that they need to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN). USPPIs can obtain an EIN by visiting and selecting "Employer ID Numbers (EIN)."

U.S. citizens, who do not have an EIN, may obtain an EIN for their international cargo transportation needs online at by requesting EIN as for Sole Proprietors in purpose …to satisfy banking requirements or local law. You may consider obtaining EIN for the purpose by following the steps as in this PDF file.

For more information, refer to a copy of U.S. Federal Code 15 CFR Part 30 in this link

About Us  |  Contacts  |  Privacy Policy  |  Work or Partner with us  |  Affiliates  |  Troubleshooting |  Site Map |  Customer reviews
Copyright © 2007 - 2021, A.M.I.D. ("American Multimodal International Deliveries") - AMID Logistics, LLC