AMID Logo E-BAY Logo
ECONOMY Sea freight Service
Calculate Shipping Cost from USA now!

U.S. Shipper's Export Declaration (SED) in International  Shipping from USA

Calculate Instant Price Quote on ECONOMY LCL Freight Shipping from USA Overseas

SED is the acronym for U.S. Shipper's Export Declarations.

According to U.S. Customs regulations, all export shipments transporting from USA overseas MUST be declared to U.S. Customs and Border Protection at

In order to comply with the U.S. Customs export regulation, international cargo transportation companies enforce the condition on all cargo shipping from USA: NO DOCS-NO LOAD. I.e. presentation of required shipping documents on any cargo shipping from USA, INCLUDING proof of SED Filing (ITN) or AES Exemption Legend, must be submitted to international cargo transportation companies no later than in 72 hours prior the release on shipping from USA.

Sea freight shipments without SED (if not an exempt) CANNOT be released to the shipping from USA, subject to withhold and penalties related to lack of providing of proper export documentation.


Typical Exempts from filing SED on shipping freight from USA (most common):

  • Shipping from USA goods of total value declared less than US $2,500.00.
  • Domestic shipments (to Hawaii for example). However, SEDs are required for shipping between USA and Puerto Rico as well as between the USA and Virgin Islands of the United States.


How to file SED?

Our online booking form provides options on filing SED:

  1. Shippers may file SED online in on their own. Then we must receive ITN prior to cargo being delivered to the freight carrier's shipping terminal for the shipping from USA.
  2. Otherwise we may file SED on shippers behalf based on the commodity description provided in international shipping documents for the fee $35.00 up to TWO Harmonized Tariff numbers. $15.00 per Harmonized Tariff number thereafter.

If you are requesting us to file SED on your behalf, then in order to do so we must have from you at least:

  1. A valued packing list or commercial invoice on your shipping from USA, which contains: commodity description (1), value of your international shipment in USD (2), estimated weight, (3). Note that with us, shippers may submit these shipping documents online. Link to submit these documents on shipping goods from USA will be provided in our email with international shipping instructions. You may want to try this simple form online in order to submit your valued packing list or proforma commercial invoice.
  2. U.S. federal tax ID (EIN) or, for not U.S. Citizens, a copy of consgner's (shopper's) foreign passport.


How to obtain EIN for SED filing in purpose to transport freight from USA overseas?

IMPORTANT NOTE FROM U.S. CUSTOMS: As on December 3, 2009 U.S. Social Security Numbers (SSN) will not be accepted as a valid USPPI ID:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau / U.S. Customs and Border Protection regulation and per the Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR), Social Security Numbers (SSN) will not be accepted as a valid USPPI ID as of December 3, 2009. Any Authorized Agent that files on behalf of customers using an SSN as the USPPI ID need to notify their customers that they need to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN). USPPIs can obtain an EIN by visiting and selecting "Employer ID Numbers (EIN)".

We found that some of our customers that do not have an EIN, obtain an EIN for their international shipping from USA online at by requesting EIN as for Sole Proprietors in purpose …to satisfy banking requirements or local law. Then you may consider obtaining EIN in order to ship carg from USA by following these steps as in this PDF file.

For more information refer to copy of U.S. Federal Code 15 CFR Part 30 in this link

About Us  |  Contacts  |  Privacy Policy  |  Work or Partner with us  |  Affiliates  |  Troubleshooting  |  Site Map |  Customer reviews
Copyright © 2011 - 2018, A.M.I.D. ("American Multimodal International Deliveries") - AMID Logistics, LLC