AMID Logo E-BAY Logo
Freight from the USA

Foreign Trade Zones. "Free Zones" in International Shipping

Foreign Trade Zone in international shipping (FTZ) is a yard guarded by U.S. Customs.
It is similar to a Bonded Warehouse, but the differences are:

  1. You can leave goods in Foreign Trade Zone literally forever;
  2. To bring internationally, shipping goods use CF 214. If you need to manipulate it, use CF 216 "Activity Report."
  3. Take internationally shipping goods out of Foreign Trade Zone used 7512 or 7501

Foreign Trade Zone established by Border Director with Customs approval. It requires record keeping (similar to bonded warehouses, just no 300 report). All are regulated by CFR 15 part 400.

  • You CAN NOT bring in Foreign Trade Zone prohibited for international shipping goods;
  • You CAN NOT have any RETAIL trade in Foreign Trade Zone.

Procedure to enter into Foreign Trade Zone:

Use form 214 to bring international shipping goods into Foreign Trade Zone. It is given LOT# (Inventory Control #). The Foreign Trade Zone Operator assigns 214 first.

  1. Written approval from the Foreign Trade Zone Operator requires BEFORE you enter the Foreign Trade Zone;
  2. Then you must DECLARE THE STATUS. Duty depends on the status. You must declare the status BEFORE internationally shipping goods enter the Foreign Trade Zone;
  3. Port Director approves admit ion and international shipping goods go to the Foreign Trade Zone;
  4. Take goods out of Foreign Trade Zone use CF 216

4 (FOUR) TYPES OF STATUS IN Foreign Trade Zone:

  1. Privileged - international shipping duty rate is FROZEN on the date of entry into the Foreign Trade Zone. No matter if it will be higher on the date of withdrawal. "PARTS-AS-PARTS" means if you assemble an international shipping machine (cars), then duty rates on withdrawal will be as on international shipping parts. The benefits are:
    - You pay lower duty on parts versus assembled machines;
    - Labor is duty-free
    (Example: Toyota pays duty on Camry assembled in Foreign Trade Zone as on parts 3.2% instead as on cars 15%. PLUS labor is duty-free)
  2. Non-Privileged - Duty rate on the date of withdrawal. "PARTS-AS-CARS. " Benefits are:
    - When duty on an assembled machine is LOWER the on international shipping parts;
    - Labor is duty-free.
  3. Duty Paid or Domestic Status - You can keep duty paid or US international shipping goods in such zones under certain circumstances. However, the rent rate is very high. Then, such a situation is very seldom.
  4. Zone Restricted - you can only place into such type of Foreign Trade Zone for:
    1. Destruction;
    2. Export
    3. To satisfy requirements;
    4. Just one exception you can make entry if it is a PUBLIC INTEREST (I.e., emergency products from the Foreign Trade Zone need to be brought to a disaster area).
    5. TIB - Transportation (international shipping) in Bond (to #2 for Export);
    6. For Drawback - i.e., wait to get duty paid back;
    7. Form 216 to take, destroy or manipulate international shipping goods require BEFORE you destroy or manipulate it.

Transfers with Foreign Trade Zone:

  1. If within the same port and SAME Foreign Trade Zone Operator, then use CF 6043;
  2. If within the same port but DIFFERENT Zone Operator, then use CF 7512 and 214 at a different location;
  3. If there are different ports, then CF 7512 and new 214;
  4. If export out of Foreign Trade Zone for IE or TE, then 7512 ;
  5. If the export is for consumption, then 3461 + 7501 with duty attached.

Other rules that apply to Foreign Trade Zone:

- You CAN NOT change the category of international shipping textiles after entry into the Foreign Trade Zone if it is going to be a consumption entry.
- You CAN change the category of international shipping textiles after entry into the Foreign Trade Zone if it is going to be exported.
It is done with the purpose of avoiding the quota system. Then you CAN NOT make an entry under another category and avoid a quota.

For consumption entry use 3461 + 7501.
After consumption entry is approved, YOU HAVE 5 (FIVE) WORKING DAYS TO TAKE INTERNATIONALLY SHIPPED GOODS OUT OF Foreign Trade Zone.


4. Goods MOVE FROM Foreign Trade Zone TO BONDED WAREHOUSE:

- Non-Privileged CAN go to the bonded warehouse. OK.
a. Same port = 6043 - 7501 (in warehouse)
b. Different port = 7512 - 7501

- Privileged CAN NOT go to the bonded warehouse! Because there is conflict: In Privileged Foreign Trade Zone international shipping duty rate is frozen, but in bonded warehouses, duty is on the date of withdrawal.

- Foreign Trade Zone Restricted CAN, but for export or destruction only.

If you have an international shipping warehouse entry and the product has been in Foreign Trade Zone for 3 YEARS, then you MUST CALCULATE TIME IN Foreign Trade Zone FOR THE TIME PERIOD IN THE BONDED WAREHOUSE. I.e., now it can stay in the bonded warehouse for ONLY 2 (TWO) YEARS before it will be declared unclaimed.

6. RECORDS KEEPING system etc., is THE SAME AS IN BONDED WAREHOUSES. Same rules and same international shipping regulations. Just one exception: THERE IS NO 300 REPORT. Only RECONSOLIDATION report.

7. SUSPECTED and PROHIBITED international shipping merchandise will be held outside of Foreign Trade Zone until it determines whether it is prohibited or not.

8. OVERAGES in FTZ reported in 214 and required a new 7501

About Us  |  Contacts  |  Privacy & Cookies  |  Work with us  |  Affiliates  |  Troubleshooting |  Site Map |  Customer reviews
Copyright © 2007 - 2023, A.M.I.D. ("American Multimodal International Deliveries") - AMID Logistics, LLC