CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN IN RESPECT OF INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING OF SEA FREIGHT FROM THE USA
The Certificate of Origin in respect of international shipping is a shipping document that verifies the country in which the product was manufactured.
The Certificate of Origin as an international sea freight shipping document is not a mandatory international shipping export document.
Some countries restrict imports from certain countries, many countries limit the quantity of goods that are allowed to be imported, and some countries give preference to international shipping goods manufactured in certain countries. The Certificate of Origin may be required for an international shipment because of established treaty arrangements, varying duty rates, and preferential duty treatment dependent on the shipment´s origin. The Certificate of Origin verifies the country in which the internationally shipping goods were manufactured. The commodity being shipping international (1) and its destination (2) determine if the Certificate of Origin is required for your international shipping.
Providing Certificate of Origin in international shipping is Shipper’s responsibility. If a Certificate of Origin is required for your international shipment: Contact and obtain the Certificate of Origin from the manufacturer of your internationally shipping goods or from your seller in the country where you purchased the goods. The descriptions and amounts in your Certificate of Origin must be consistent with those entered in the Commercial Invoice for your international shipment. Note: The laws for when a Certificate of Origin is needed change often. If you are involved in international shipping, then verify the current criteria requiring a Certificate of Origin prior your international shipment.
In respect of international shipping from the USA, in general, you would need a Certificate of Origin in the destination countries and goods as follows:
- Shipping to ALBANIA: International shipping of any commercial food, drug, medicine, or medical equipment. This includes all commercial food, drug, or medicine samples.
- Shipping to ARGENTINA: International shipping of any textile, regardless of value (unusable textile samples do not require a Certificate of Origin).
- Shipping to AUSTRIA: Certificate of Origin required for all commercial international shipments containing textile. Internationally shipping textile samples of "no commercial value" under 256.00 EUR/$235.00 USD do NOT require a Certificate of Origin. A Certificate of Origin is also NOT required for purchases of limited quantities of textile for personal use only, less than 820.00 EUR/$760.00 USD (Must not be in bulk quantities).
- Shipping to BELGIUM: All international shipments containing textile products that originate in non EU-countries. Exempt are textile sample shipments of no commercial or customs value and purchases under 250.00 EUR/$230.00 USD per commodity.
- Shipping to BOLIVIA: All international shipments non-documents valued over $3,000 USD.
- Shipping to CANADA: See the NAFTA Certificate of Origin for international shipping.
- Shipping to CANARY ISLANDS: The internationally shipping good of any non-document.
- Shipping to DENMARK: Textile international shipments valued over 1000.00 DKR/$110.00 USD and from a non-EU origin (A CO is not needed for textile SAMPLES -- if "samples" appears on the invoice).
- Shipping to FINLAND: For all non-EU countries: All internationally shipping commercial textiles and textile samples over 45.00 EUR/$54.00 USD. For European non-EU countries: Not Required if proof of origin can be determined from EUR1 document or declaration on invoice. Note: A Certificate of Origin is NOT required for purchases of limited quantities of internationally shipping textiles for personal use (must not be in bulk or wholesale quantities).
- Shipping to FRANCE: All international shipments of textiles and clothing manufactured in non-EU countries if the CIF value of the shipment is greater than 1,000.00 EUR/$980.00 USD. Photocopied or imaged certificates will NOT be accepted.
- Shipping to GERMANY: All commercial shipments of textiles. Textile samples with no commercial value and a customs value exceeding 250.00 EUR/$230.00 USD. International textile shipments to private individuals for personal use if the value exceeds 1,000.00 EUR/$980.00 USD.
- Shipping to GREECE: All international textile shipments from non-EU countries; All international commercial shoe shipments from non-EU countries.; Samples (ONLY up to three shoe/textile items or less than seven sq. meters of textile sample) do NOT require a Certificate of Origin.
- Shipping to IRELAND: All international textile shipments with a value exceeding 254.00 EUR/$234.00 USD require a Certificate of Origin. The exception is international textile shipments for personal use. Customs limits the quantities.
- Shipping to ISRAEL: Trading relations between the U.S. and Israel allow reduced or cancelled duties for goods made in the USA that internationally shipping with a green Certificate of Origin for trade with Israel (Certificate of Origin). The international shipper is responsible for the Certificate of Origin. This must be filled out Shipping to in capital letters and in English only.
- Shipping to ITALY: Customs requires a Certificate of Origin for all textile international shipments and for all online purchases of any value from private individuals. Customs exempts low-value shipments of samples with a value of 45.00 EUR/$25.00 USD or less.
- Shipping to JAPAN: Internationally shipping silk items over 300 square meters require a Certificate of Origin. Silk items below 300 square meters can be noted on the commercial invoice.
- Shipping to KUWAIT: All non-document international shipments over $1500.00 USD must be accompanied by a Certificate of Origin with a stamped ("legalized") seal from the origin country Chamber of Commerce. Note: All internationally shipping goods destined for US Air Force installations are exempt from this requirement and will not need a Certificate of Origin.
- Shipping to MEXICO: See the NAFTA Certificate of Origin.
- Shipping to NETHERLANDS: All international textile shipments valued over 345.00 EUR/$319.00 USD.
- Shipping to SPAIN: A Certificate of Origin is needed for all international shipments that may be eligible for duty-free treatment due to existing trade agreements, such as EFTA, SPG (System of Generalized Preferences), and LOMA. All international textile shipments (including personal) must have a Certificate of Origin. Textiles may also require an import permit.
- Shipping to UNITED KINGDOM: International textile shipments over 18.00 GBP (26.60 EUR/$25.00 USD). Exempt are purchases of limited amounts of textile goods for personal use only (must not be in bulk or wholesale quantities). Also exempt are commercial samples of negligible value.
International shippers that are importing goods into the USA may find useful information related to U.S. Customs and U.S. Customs Broker published in this link.